Friday, February 29, 2008

Bi0nic gets ripped!

As Angie pointed out, February 29th only comes along once every four years, and since today is the day it should be marked or celebrated in some fashion. Soooooo.....I took this as a sign that I should get off my arse and do something I've been putting off.

I joined a gym!!!

This is HUGE for me. I haven't belonged to a gym in a few years, and even when I did it was just the Y and I didn't really know what I was doing. I like to work out with buddies, and I was using that as an excuse to not join since we moved here...because I don't know very many people, I don't have a buddy. It's silly really, because even when I had a buddy for working out we didn't do the same routine so basically we just arrived and left the gym together. But it was good moral support.

I miss my kickboxing class because it was fun, I had close friends to partner with (which also served as motivation because you never want to disappoint your partner), we always had an instructor to make sure we knew what we were doing, and it was intense enough that even if I didn't do anything but go to those two weekly classes I was burning a good amount of calories and building up my cardio.

So now I need to be my own buddy...my own butt-kicker...my own motivator!

After looking online and asking around a bit, I settled on Nubody's Fitness. It's a local chain with a good reputation, and as luck would have it the closest one to us is fairly new and ladies only. Not that I care if there are guys there, but it'll help until I'm comfortable with what I'm doing.

It's money well spent I think. They had a good deal of $99 for the first 3 months, plus a deal on signing up for 5 personal training sessions (saved about $50 on those). I signed up for a year to get the better monthly rate of about $50 (after the first three months, obviously) and they include 4-5 hours worth of introductory classes to learn how to use the equipment, etc. The woman that was signing me up chose a trainer for my first session, but I am welcome to change to someone else if it isn't a good fit. From what I've seen on the website though, and by the recommendation the manager gave her I think she will be just what I need for a good kick in the pants.

I'm nervous, but sooo excited! My first intro classes are tomorrow for cardio and the circuit equipment. Tuesday night I learn about weights. Then next Saturday I'll do the stretching/ab intro, followed by my first personal training session. OMG, what have I done?!!

:)

6 comments:

Jen said...

*laughs* I love how shocked you sound!!!

That is friggin fantastic!!!! It should also help with the boredom!!!!

I hope the trainer whips your butt (in a good way!)

Lady J said...

Congrats darling daughter... you go girl!! It sounds like just what you need right now.

Hugs xo

Lex said...

AHha nice!
Nubody's is great, you'll enjoy it

Mikey said...

Next time I see you we'll have to arm-wrestle!

Vanessa said...

Great job! I hope you enjoy the gym :)

ElleBee said...

Have fun @ Nubodys.... I'm off to have a workout there now! Are you going to the Clayton Park Womans Only? It's a really great facility!