Normally I try to stear clear of all of the hype surrounding celebrities and their untimely deaths, etc. (...not to say that I don't occassionally get sucked into celeb drama... Britney is a car wreck that I can't look away from sometimes...), but I just read an article about how Heath Ledger's death has been deemed an accidental overdose of prescription pills.
Read it here.
It caught my attention because on the list of drugs was OxyContin.
This is one of those situations that is brought to light by my job. I work for a legal website that provides daily legal news about everything under the sun. One of the main topics that comes up every day is prescription drugs....whether it be about unknown side-effects, off-label use, or addictive qualities. I read multiple complaints from the general public each and every day about how addictive OxyContin is.
These complaints come from normal, everyday people like you and me that have been given this prescription by their doctors as a painkiller. They've been told that it's not addictive. Yet, here they are months later feeling like meth-heads that just need one more fix. They've tried and tried to get themselves off the painkiller, but to no avail. They find themselves financially strapped and overusing each and every day. It might as well be heroine.
So here we find yet another stressed out person that has been living each day pumped full of prescription drugs for anxiety or sleeplessness or whatever the ailment of the day may be. Can't doctors come up with a better way to help these folks deal with stress? There has got to be a better way.
Read here to see what draws people to our site to seek help. Or here is an interview we did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
wow, it is so incredibly heartbreaking that the people you turn to naturally in time of trouble give you something that then in turn takes your problem and makes it so much worse. I don't know what the solution is, but it sure is heartbreaking.
That's sad :(
:-( that's sad.
[On a side note, maybe you can help point me in the right direction, seeing that you work for a company reporting on daily legal news and all. I want to look up the case where the judge just ruled in Alberta that the cap on minor injuries is unconstitutional. I don't know the name of the case or the judge, but it's been on the news last night and today and I wanted to look it up on Quicklaw. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, no worries, but I thought it was worth asking!]
Post a Comment