Wednesday, February 13, 2008

F@*K!!!

So, that thing that I originally thought was the clutch, but then decided was the turbo....turned out to be the freaking clutch.

Fine.

Except that car is barely six years old and has no business with a worn out clutch.

But whatever...sometimes these things wear out.

Except that how in the freaking world is a clutch assembly on a freaking Volkswagen Jetta possibly $1300?!

Yup, you read that right. $1300 for parts, plus like $550 for labor. Plus freaking tax. Goodbye $2000.

Next time I buy a car I think I'll have to spend some time researching the cost of common, wear-and-tear parts. This is freaking outrageous.

It would likely have been cheaper if it had been the stupid turbo.

Not impressed.

(and before you ask, yes I called my old VW dealer and asked them the price to make sure I wasn't getting burned and sure enough that's what it is....at least labour is $20/hour cheaper here.)

(oh and did I mention that my battery is apparently dying and my starter is making some quirky noises so that could be another $415 sometime in the coming months. oh, how I think it's time to start really looking at the SUV I was thinking about getting...)

8 comments:

Mikey said...

doh! how many clicks are on the car?

http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000155.html

Mikey said...

Looking online, the cost for a non-oem clutch ranges from 300 to 500 so I'd really wonder what justifies the cost...

Try calling crappy tire, a transmission specialty place, or some other junk place to see what the price on a a *non-oem* part is. I wouldn't normally suggest non-oem parts but if you're going to trade it in, then it'd be worth saving $500!

Jaime said...

Thanks Mikey, but I don't know any mechanics here so I just told them to go ahead and do it. Shit happens.

I had counted on weird things going wrong with it once the warranty ran out...it's a VW afterall. But I figured stupid electrical stuff...not a $2000 clutch.

Jaime said...

oh, less than 70K on it. nice, right.

Angela Power said...

Oh shit! brutal girl! I drive a VW Jetta TDI too! But it's an automatic. Crap, I have a feeling on my next service on it is going to be brutal, I just can feel it coming!

On the other hand, one of my bosses drives a VW Jetta that's ancient and it's still kicking, so that's somewhat promising (I hope).

Amy said...

I agree... who needs a stupid clutch! I hate hate hate cars. I just had to shell out a whack load of cash on my car over the holidays too.

Mikey said...

I still think you're getting screwed and should have shopped around..

Jaime said...

Well Mikey, you may remember that the last time I took my car to a non-VW place they screwed up so bad that I got stranded on Sooke highway. So I'd rather still with the devil I know....