For lack of anything better on TV last night (the DVR recorded BB for me), I decided to watch the Oscars. I think DBF and I watched them last year, but it's not something I usually go out of my way for.
I managed to watch all the way through, but I'm not sure why. I guess that since I'd already invested a couple of hours in it, I wanted to see who got the big awards at the end. And I was hoping for a few more beautiful dresses, but honestly the two I liked the most were right at the beginning.... Jennifer Garner and Katherine Heigl.
As far as the fashion goes, there's usually too many people trying too hard. What was up with Tilda Swinton? Her hair was hideous...she's not the world's most beautiful woman, but good God woman, do something a little more feminine...and her dress was a tent. And did you see Daniel Day Lewis's wife? Not good. Jennifer Hudson's dress did something weird to her boobs. Renee Zelwegger's dress was gorgeous, but the way she swaggered onto stage was just plain bizarre. She's so different when she being herself instead of one of her characters. Very odd.
Now, for the awards...
I haven't seen most of the big Oscar movies this year so I didn't have any favorites going in. I was cheering for Ellen Page just because I've recently moved to Halifax and she is from here and it would have been fun to see a Canadian grab the award. Awesome that Juno's writer, Diablo Cody won for her original screenplay though. I didn't know the girl that took home the Best Actress award, Marion Cottilard, but after her gushing acceptance speech I was very happy for her.
I'm not a fan of the Coen brothers in general and DBF saw Old Country for Old Men and didn't like it, so I'm not sure what all the fanfare there was about. Obviously the academy sees it differently since they took home the three big awards...adapted screenplay, director and Best Movie....plus Javier Bardem took home Supporting Actor.
Daniel Day Lewis was a great choice for Best Actor as he truly seems honored and dedicated to his craft. I'd definitely like to see There Will Be Blood now.
I couldn't believe though that three of the five songs nominated were from Enchanted. Seems a bit of overkill...the movie was cute and quirky and although the songs were all enjoyable I was surprised they all made the cut. Must have been slim pickings in the song department this year. Thankfully, the original song from the independant film Once won the award. The two most humble Irish musicians you've ever seen deserved the win for sure! I've seen that movie on the shelf at the video store and I'm so going to rent it the next time I'm there.
John Stewart was mildly funny this year. A little too scripted for my liking. But it is the Oscars and not the Daily Show afterall, so good enough I guess. I think he was upstaged by the 80 years worth of montages....
Monday, February 25, 2008
Let's Talk Oscars
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Katherine looked fantastic and you're right, WTF was up w/ Jennifer Hudson's boobs/dress???
Post a Comment