Wednesday, September 19, 2007

TV Review - Gossip Girl

Strike one for new programming. Although I'm sure this will appeal to a large group of people, and although I'm sure that I'll wind up watching this from time to time when I'm too lazy to reach for the remote, this show did not live up to all the hype for me.


Based on a popular series of books the concept is interesting, but if it wasn't for the variety of texting devices, Sidekicks, and cell phones, the concept would have died. And honestly, who is going to be THAT interested in the goings on of only two local celebutants? Hopefully as the season goes on Gossip Girl will find other people to chat about too.

There is your typical bad girl turned good. Your usual jealous best friend. The mysterious, slightly dorky boy that wins your heart. The painstaking best friend's boyfriend in love with the wrong girl. And of course, the typical rich asshole bad boy that thinks he can do whatever he wants. Oh, and of course the innocent younger sister that seems to be getting herself entwined in the "popular" crowd.

Not sure that all of these cliches will make for a long lasting show, but I wrong about The OC so we shall see. I'll give it another chance before I completly shoot it down. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched this last night too, and I loved it! I've read the books so I was excited for weeks before the premiere. Is it just me, or did you think Chuck was a total perv? Ew. I, for one, hated The OC from the beginning, but I really hope that Gossip Girl does well.