Saturday, September 1, 2007

Maritime Adventure - Part Sixteen - The End

My last day!!! Nooooooo!!!

Seriously. Eighteen days sounds like a lot, but then you take off a couple for travel time, and then DBF is in class for five of the days, then all of a sudden it's not really eighteen days anymore.

Poo.

So we slept in and enjoyed ourselves just relaxing. We missed our free food opportunities at the mess hall, and not even the Timmy's was open on the weekend, so we snacked on our leftover cheeses, crackers and an assortment of crap I got out of the vending machines. Nice!

We had planned our final uber-dinner to be pretty fantastic so both of us wanted to be hungry when we got there so weren't too concerned about eating all day.

Unfortunately the shite weather continued which was a little disappointing for our last date night. As if the humidity in Halifax hadn't been bad enough for my hair but the crazy rain was not going to help! And I had a new dress to wear. With open toed shoes dammit. Oh, and of course we didn't have an umbrella. LOL.

Turned out we got ourselves an awesome cabbie. After the couple million we'd had since I got there it was great to have one that had a personality and good music. And he got us right up to the door of the restaurant so I was extremely greatful. No big poofy rain hair!!!

Our restaurant of choice this time was Da Maurizio (again, also owned by the same chef as Bish and Il Mercato). It had been recommended to us and we had researched online and were excited about the menu. How can we not go to a place that offers lobster risotto?!!

DBF picked out a Chateau Neuf Du Pap as our first bottle of wine. We have both always wanted to try one but usually restaurants only carry the over the top expensive ones, but at $88 this one was reasonable enough for us to try out. I don't remember the vinyard though. I quite enjoyed it...light enough for the season, but with the variety of grapes to give it lots of flavour, and a very smooth finish. More my taste than DBF's but we were both happy with the choice.

The restaurant offered five or six courses, so we decided to go with four (including dessert). I had a smoked salmon appy with yummy herbed marscapone cheese & crostini. DBF had seared sea scallops (of course!) with a port reduction. Both excellent!! We shared the lobster risotto for our second course.

For our second bottle of wine (yes, another one...I said uber-date!!) we asked for the sommolier's help. Generally we enjoy a nice rich Australian red so she recommended one for us, and it was one of the best recommendations we've ever had for wine. 2004 Sandalford - Cab Sav. For DBF it was perfect....for me it was excellent but maybe a bit too dark for the season...but because I had beef for dinner it paired very well. Definitely not complaining!!

As a main I had trouble deciding, but ordered veal scaloppini with fresh lobster in a cream sauce. So amazing! Creamy, rich, tender, yum! DBF almost ordered the lobster tail dinner, but had trouble passing up the steak...so we asked the server if they could do a surf and turf so he got the best of both worlds. He was able to complete his culinary adventure with one last lobster tail!

We of course finished dinner with a Tiramisu to share. It was yummy, but honestly not the best Tiramisu I've ever had...which was a little odd considering how AMAZING everything else was. But I enjoyed my cappucino w/ Amaretto with it...and DBF had a tasty little port.

I won't tell you the total of our bill because I wouldn't want you to fall off your chairs and hurt yourselves but I will tell you that it was the most expensive dinner we've ever had....and we have had a few whoppers. Prior to this, our first uber-date at Sooke Harbour House at $340 was the highest. But honestly, if you don't indulge like this once in a while, where's the fun?!!

After dinner, the rain had subsided so we decided to walk a few blocks and get a nightcap. I'll let you guess where we went. Yup, that's right....Shoe Shop. I was wrong about Friday night being that last time. :) We were hoping for a last little bit of "cougar row" entertainment....but alas we were mildly disappointed. Instead I enjoyed another overpriced Cosmopolitan and DBF enjoyed his White Russian and then we made our way back to the room.


Sadly this was my last night, and the next morning I left for home.....


(see here for details of my adventure to get home)

2 comments:

Angela Power said...

Oh so happy that you enjoyed your stay in Halifax! I haven't yet tried that restaurant, but will now for sure! Looooove the Shoe Shop too, it's such a great place to kick back for a few drinks with a great atmosphere.

Jen said...

oh wow!! Sounds like you had an evening out of a movie!!!!

I litterally just sat here and swooned as I read about it!!!