Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Why didn't we buy snow tires BEFORE he left?

Because we are cheap and stupid sometimes...that's why!

For those of you that have just tuned in, you may not know that DBF is driving across Canada right now...

For our move we ended up choosing to go to Halifax separately. Because the move is over the holidays, and because DBF probably won't get leave time again for a while, he wanted to see his son in Winnipeg before we headed out East. I wanted to stay here get as much quality time as possible with my friends and family since I won't be able to just come home and visit any old time I feel like it.

Any other time of year this probably would have been a good idea.

Not so much in the Winter.

He is loaded down with as much of his stuff that he could take, plus our 75 pound dog in his Hyundai Tiburon. Yup, a sports car. With big, fat new tires. But not snow tires. They call them "all-season", but really at that size and style they might as well be summer slicks. I think they meant "Vancouver Island all-season" because they certainly aren't doing him any good out there in the provinces that actually have Winter.

His trip from Victoria to Winnipeg was harrowing enough what with Rogers Pass being a sucky stretch of highway even in clear conditions.

But the worst has been his drive from Winnipeg to Toronto. He likes to road trip and drive long distances in long periods of time. He prefers to just get from point A to point B without stopping unless he has to. I worry when he does this.... He left Winnpeg first thing on Monday morning with the hopes of arriving in the Toronto area by sometime Tuesday morning. But somewhere on the highway between Thunder Bay and Sioux St Marie he just couldn't drive through the snowstorm anymore and had to stop until daylight. But I think he just up and carried on as soon as he could.

I just got a call from his Mom and he has arrived at her place safely now (at 3:30 this morning!) and she told him to sleep as long as he needs. I am looking forward to his call when he wakes up so I can hear his voice for myself.

Next he has to make it the rest of the way to Halifax. He is hoping to arrive there on Saturday to meet up with me, and so he can have Sunday off to relax and get organized before starting work on his new ship on Monday.

I wish Mother Nature would work with us on this and stop sending Winter storms in his path! Hopefully he gets some clearer roads for the remainder of his trip.

4 comments:

ElleBee said...

Aww, well I'm sure he'll make it here just fine! You must be going crazy though, I sure would be.

Mikey said...

don't forget, he has Mojo to pull him out if he gets stuck!

Vanessa said...

Yikes! *Fingers crossed* for some nicer weather for dbf to drive through.

Shirls said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the storms will stop! I just got back from mountain trips, through the Rogers and over the Coq, which was enough for me, with a 4X4and new tires!

Here is to getting settled in again