After my first big night of sleep, we decided to relax Saturday and just take our time puttering around. DBF brought us lunches from Tim Horton's (of course!!...there's one here on the base) and we enjoyed our yummy Starbucks brew.
We had decided to make this first weekend night our first big night on the town so I could see what all the hubbub about the Halifax drinking scene was about. Our buddy Shooby is here on the same course as DBF so we met up with him and headed for downtown around 3:00. All you Halifax folks can guess where we started..... The Split Crow for Power Hour of course!! We were a bit early so Shooby had a late lunch and then we started in on our $1.50 beers. The boys wanted to order a couple of dozen, but since I can only drink 1 to every 2 or 3 of theirs, we opted to go for 15 instead. Thank God!!! The band here was really fun, but it was stinking hot, so after the hour was up we opted to head out.
After that we hit The Lower Deck (of course!). Not DBF's fave spot (it has lost it's cool factor for him after several visits), but because it was only late afternoon it wasn't all packed or anything so we enjoyed a beverage and a couple of songs. I was able to walk a bit along the boardwalk here too, and saw my first Tall Ship of the trip. :)
Now, I'm going to have to get my Honey to read this because I'm sure I'm missing something here (edit: we did make a stop for one drink at the Alehouse, but they didn't have the special beer Shooby was looking for so we didn't stay)....but I think next we went to Economy Shoe Shop. The boys enjoy this place because it's a bit classier atmosphere, they can get drinks other than just beer, and there are usually "lots of cougars drinking Merlot". LOL. Right, you need to know that DBF is a cougar-lovin man....and generally they love him too! This place was nice for me because I was able to get a good cocktail and thought I was going to get to eat....but there was a 45 minute wait for food and we had friends to meet up with.
Because of this, I was in desperate need of food, so got the boys to take me to pizza corner. I was going for a donair, but decided on a slice of pizza instead. Cheaper, faster and easier to eat!!
After this the night gets a little more out of control.... We met up with some girls the boys know at The Bitter End. They were celebrating a birthday. The highlight here was a couple of really good Cosmopolitans!! These ladies were off to some other bar to dance so we agreed to go with them. I don't even remember the name of the bar, it was THAT BAD! The place was essentially empty.....but they had $3 shooters! HaHa! Gah, but before we got too far into those, we convinced the ladies that we needed to go somewhere more happening. So off we went wandering and landed up back at the Lower Deck.
But it was Natal Day Celebrations, so there was a live band outside. They were doing old school Bon Jovi and Def Leppard covers!!! I haven't laughed that hard in a while!! We danced around and sang for a while, then headed inside to the Middle Deck where it was absolutely jam-packed. By now, DBF and I were done with the drinking and ready to call it a night. Shooby was lost in the crowd, so we tracked him down and hit the road. The gals were still going strong when we left. Hard core locals!!!
(For those of you with access to DBF's Facebook: the photos of the night are here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=17350&id=526456334&pwstdfy=7af0642486dd97b1cd3d4ae9c4e71373)
Man, I hope I got that all right. I'm sure I've gotten some details out of whack and I have a sneaking suspicion that I have forgotten something. Ah well, thanks for listening! I'll be back with another chapter tomorrow....and I promise the touristy stuff will begin!
2 comments:
Sounds like a great time! :D
"Lots of cougars drinking Merlot" - too many bars around here are like that. lol :) Glad you had a good time in general!
Post a Comment