Friday, August 10, 2007

Maritime Adventure - Part One

Hey everybody! Here I am! Alive in Halifax! (Well for the next hour or so anyway....we're off for a day or so in Sydney, Cape Breton today!)

It would be the world's longest post if I was to blog about all of our adventures at once, so I figure I will do it in chapters as time allows. Part One involves my flights here and my first day in the good ol' Maritimes.....

I will preface this with a reminder of how frustrated I was trying to book my flights here and how disgusted I was with the price of flying within Canada.... $850 return! And that was with a seat sale on the way here!

My flight left Victoria at 8:00pm, so that was nice....had all day to pack up, return the rental car, (grrrr.....stupid car!), drop the dog off at "daycare", and eat a real dinner at the airport (when did Vic International get a White Spot?). Neighbor Jen came to the rescue again by helping me to get all my shit together and get everything done. Thanks Jen!!

That's where the fun of my flights ended. So I flew to Calgary....then laid over for 2+ hours....so I could get on the red-eye at 1:00am. Then I flew to Montreal....but it was only about a 3.5 hour flight, so not much sleep there....then laid over for 3+ hours....again, no sleep to be had there. Then I finally flew to Halifax, where I arrived at what was now almost 2:00pm....but still 10:00 in my mind...with approximately 2 hours sleep. WooT! (In case you weren't sure of the math, that's right....this was a 14+ hour trek!)

*Note: I had heard that there are only 4 Starbucks in Halifax and not one of them was at the airport. Eeek! So I thought I'd better get a latte while stuck in the Montreal airport....but to my dismay it seemed that the only Starbucks was on the other side of security, so I had to settle for Second Cup (which was definitely settling....their vanilla sucked). Gah, then sure enough, while wandering around in my dazed, sleepless stupor I realized there was indeed a Starbucks there for me!! So I waited until I was just about to board and got me my apparently crack-laced non-fat vanilla latte......so happy!!!

Darling BF and his good buddy Marky were there waiting for me when I finally made it to Halifax. DBF was looking like a man on vacation with his scruffy beard and new baggy shorts and cowboy hat....almost wouldn't have recognized him if he wasn't 6'4"!! (For those of you that don't know...he's not usually a casual shorts and flip-flop kind of guy....but after over a week in Winnipeg's 40+ degree heat he was in Summer-mode big time!!)

Now that I was operating on about my 5th wind and 2 big lattes I was actually physically vibrating so the boys offered to take me out for lunch and get some food in me. Sure, I figured sustenance was as important as sleep at this point, so off we went. Marky took us down to Spring Garden Road to Your Father's Moustache where I inhaled a clubhouse and caesar salad and think maybe almost passed out on the table. (*Another Starbucks note: seeings as we happened to walk right by one, DBF stopped and got us a bag of coffee to have in the room so I wouldn't go into deprivation while I'm here.)

This chapter ends with a ride over to DBF's hotel on the base, a good long shower, and a big nappy that basically took us right through to Saturday morning....where I awoke to Special K and Starbucks in bed. Yaaieeeee!

(stay tuned for further adventures........)

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Hey
Just found your site today! Sounds like you are having quite an adventure already! Flights are so unpredictable and flying overnight is the WORST!
Enjoy your time in Halifax, I'm in Saint John New Brunswick so not too far at all. I LOVE Halifax, it's such a great active city and the water front is so entertaining. One suggestion: You HAVE to go to Mother Tucker's on Sunday morning. They have the most unbelievable breafast/brunch buffet you have ever seen. You can seriously eat until you can't fit through the door anymore and the variety is incredible!

ElleBee said...

Welcome to Halifax!! It's supposed to be a gorgeous weekend, I hope you have lots of fun, and definatly check out the waterfront once you get back from Cape Breton!

Anonymous said...

BOOO to the long flight. Yay to the DBF waiting for ya. My DBF is 6'4" too. hehe.