Sunday, March 30, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

We did it! Yup, that's right...the couple that survives by our large TV and two laptops...we turned off our lights and our electronics for one hour last night!

I will admit that we were on the phone pretty much the whole time, but the articles I read mainly said to turn out lights and the TV/computer so I figure the little bit of power sucked out by the phone is definitely better than a 50" plasma TV.

Of course, due to no lights on I had to let DBF pee with the door open....haha. Because listening is better than cleaning it up later!

We enjoy candlelight but seem to have gotten away from it as of late, so this was a nice reminder that we don't always need to be power-sucking with lamps and lights and such when it's unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong... we recycle and we now compost because it's a city law and it's an easy step to take. We try to look for energy efficient things to do around the house (compact fluorescent lightbulbs, turning the heat down when not needed, etc), but we don't see ourselves as environmental by any means...which is why I think things like Earth Day are great. It coaxes people to think a little more about the world we live in and maybe do a few extra things we wouldn't normally do. If someone new tries something new each time these things are discussed I think it's a great step in the right direction.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

I always pee with the door open.. if I close the door, the kids get mad...

Jaime said...

Lucky Angela! Nothing sexier than listening to a stream of pee!