Tuesday, March 25, 2008

BOGO Crazy

The one good thing about the fact that there are only two major grocery chains here, is that the sales are usually pretty good and competitive. I've started making sure to get the flyers on Fridays when they come out so I can plan my weekly grocery lists and meal plans. The first few times I shopped here, I didn't have the flyers and I would end up buying something and then find it significantly cheaper at the other store...annoying! Now, that still happens on some non-sale items but I'm slowly figuring out which of my regular grocery items should be purchased at which store. Like, usually Sobey's has grapes on sale, but never Campbell's soup. SuperStore is way cheaper for milk and when they have a price drop it's usually permanent (Kashi cereal for example!).

This week though, Sobey's has a Buy One Get One promotion going on, so I stocked up on things I wouldn't normally have on hand. Bits n Bites, Ritz Crisps, navel oranges, an extra bag of gala apples. Plus I wound up with enough tinfoil, Press n Seal, and paper towel to last a few months.

Of course, non of my usual items are on that promotion, so I'll be adjusting the meal plans for the next week to make up for the BOGO budget busting. Oh well!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't you find that time consuming and a waste of gas? why don't you just get everything at the same store, its not like you are saving hundreds of dollars? just my opinion anyways. :)

Jaime said...

Nope. I drive by both of them on my way pretty much anywhere...so it's no big deal. And seriously, if I'm doing our big monthly shop, it's more than a few bucks (can be like $30 on a big order). If I'm just stopping for a couple of things, then ya I don't care. But I totally refuse to pay over $7 for milk when I know that I can get it for $5 pretty much everywhere else...it's just the principle on that one.

Anonymous said...

i had to come back and see what you wrote. :) Ya I don't mind paying the extra for convenience. i hate driving. hehe.

Lady J said...

I still can't believe you pay $5 to $7 for milk, aren't there any cows in your neck of the woods?? I know some of ours, depending where you buy it, is close to $5 but I seldom pay more than $3.79. Sucks to be you... ;o))

Jaime said...

It's not really all that inconvenient. Sobey's is next to my gym, so I go there for the most part (plus it's just a nicer store) but if I KNOW something will be considerably cheaper at SuperStore then I'll stop there on the way home. Not for 25 cents...but for $2 on a couple of things it's worth it to me.

$30 extra in a month is dinner out!

Jen said...

I split some of my things between two stores...sometimes I buy stuff at safeway (like produce and bread because it is just BETTER) but the majority of my stuff comes from extra foods...unless it's cleaners and stuff...and then those come from Walmart...usually along with a bunch of other stuff I didn't need!!!!

And I ALWAYS find my flyers on my step when I come HOME from the grocery store (no matter what time or day it seems!!)

Mikey said...

Are you drinking lobster milk now or something?

Jaime said...

It's another Nova Scotia oddity...for some reason dairy is more expensive here. I guess our cows are gold-plated or something.