Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Recipe - No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake

And what's a recipe challenge without a dessert recipe?! I opted for these no-bake cheesecake bars because they didn't involve too many crazy ingredients and they looked like they would freeze well. Not quite what I thought they'd be but they are a tasty treat for after dinner.

Jollygood Squares (from Crazy Plates)

1 pkg lemon Jello (3 oz)
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups graham wafer crumbs
3 tbsp light butter or margarine (melted)
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
8 oz light cream cheese (room temp)
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest (I didn't have a fresh lemon and it's fine without this)
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups light Cool Whip (thawed)

In a small bowl, dissolve jelly powder in boiling water. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, but not set. (It says it takes about 45 minutes, but I had to put mine in the freezer because it was taking forever!)

Meanwhile, prep crust. Combine graham crumbs, butter and brown sugar. Stir well to combine. Press mixture evenly into bottom of sprayed 9 x 13 baking pan. Refrigerate while making filling.

Beat together cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla (Gah! I just realized I didn't add the vanilla....haha...oh well, they taste fine!) on high speed of electric mixer. Beat until smooth. Add thickened jelly and beat on medium until well blended. Fold in Cool Whip...don't overmix.

Pour lemon mixture over crust and spread evenly to edges of pan. Refrigerate at least 4 hours, until set. Cut into squares and serve. Yum!!

(they recommend serving these with fresh berries or a spoonful of berry pie filling)


WW = makes 24 squares @ approx 3 points per square (depending on your butter, Cool Whip, etc)

1 comment:

Christy said...

Lemon AND no bake! You've just made my day!!!! :)