Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Bomb has been Dropped!

I haven't posted much about this, if anything really, because it was a "wait and see" game for a couple of months. Well, yesterday the bomb dropped. DBF called...with good news and bad news.

Honestly, when he said that, I thought "oh yaiieeee....Good News!!" Mmmhmmmm. So I asked for the good news first....to which he replied...."well hon, the good news is that we will be together". I think my heart stopped. Because I knew that was just a calm way of saying that the bad news is that we will be in Halifax. Gasp.

Yup kids, that's right. Darling boyfriend got his posting orders yesterday, and just as he had been told months ago, only one of the five people on his course got posted to the West Coast. The other four of them have been transferred to the lovely East Coast. No specific dates just yet, but we're guessing first thing in the New Year.

I was unexpectedly overwhelmed. I thought that I had come to terms with this in my mind, but turns out that I had actually convinced myself that this wouldn't happen. I guess I honestly thought that all the what-ifs we had been dealt would work themselves out in our favour. Hmmmm...guess not. DBF was actually more at ease about it all, and he was the one that was seriously pissed about this possibility. Turns out he was more worried for me...he's not from here...I am.

We talked for a long time....mainly about what information we'll need and about the positives to this move. Like the fact that real estate is considerably cheaper in the Halifax area, so we'll likely finally be able to own a home. We will be closer to places we've wanted to visit...specifically New York City, but also Montreal, Boston, and even flights to Europe will likely be cheaper. For him jobwise, the ship he has been posted to will be the first ship to bring on the new military helicopters, so he will get to do the inaugural work with that, and that's got to be pretty friggin cool!

The scary negative is that I may not be able to keep my job...which would suck...but I'll find another one...just probably not a skookum work-from-home-in-my-yoga-pants one. Other obvious negatives are leaving my Mom, missing my friends, and the fact that the Maritimes actually get Winter! I guess I'll have to shop for boots though...haha, silver lining and all that!

Lots to consider, but after the initial shock I've decided to look at it as an adventure. At least I visited there this summer and know that Halifax is a pretty cool city and we have a few friends there to help with the transition. We're in another "wait and see" holding pattern for the specific timeline so that's a little frustrating...if it's not one thing it's another.

All I know for sure is that I"ll be decorating up a fantastic guest room, and everyone better come visit! You all need to see Peggy's Cove...you know it! and now you'll have no excuses right!!! :)

6 comments:

eurydice said...

For some reason I thought you already lived on the East Coast.... I'm not sure why! I hope you like it there :o)

Anonymous said...

Well we have to hang out at least once before you move :(
This is sad news.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, Jamie, I have to say I admire your attitude! I don't adjust to change well and you have taken it on as an adventure and I admire that...there are definitely some not so fun sounding parts of it, but it also sounds like there are some wonderful positives!!! I hope you find out some more info soon! You are stronger than I am, patience is not a virtue I have been blessed with!

Mikey said...

BOOOO!

sliver lining: at least you can mail me lobsters & chocolate covered potato chips!

Lady J said...

Trust Mike to immediately go the lobster and choco chips... lmao

Jaime said...

Mikey's new name should be Lobsterboy.