Finally! The show I've been waiting for!! Pushing Daisies was the one new show of the season I read enough reviews of to know I was going to like. From the creators of Dead Like Me...how could I not love it?!
I had read that the premiere episode (called "Pie-lette"...how appropriate!) was filmed by a special director (who's name escapes me) and it was described as absolutely beautiful television. It did not disappoint! Almost a cartoon-like wonder to the scenery and sets, bright colors, tangible textures and fantastic cinematography leading to the feel that the show had just popped right off the pages of a children's book. Like a Dr. Suess book for adults! Interesting camera angles really added to the quirkyness of the cast....I hope that wasn't just for this first episode.

The kitchy characters all captured my attention in one way or another. Our main hero, Ned, who holds the entire basis for the show in his hands...almost literally...is endearing to say the least. With his odd gift of returning life to the dead (whether it's withered fruit for his famous pies or the love of his life) he has become wary of becoming close to anyone. Charlotte (Ned remembers her fondly as Chuck), Ned's first kiss (the forementioned love of his life) who he brings back to life to ask about her murderer but can't bear to send back to the afterlife, is as tiny as Ned is tall (I heart tall men!!) and carries a spark of mischief in her glossy eyes.
These two are supported by a cast of odd (to say the least) supporting characters....Emerson, the PI Ned works with solving murders....Olive, the upbeat waitress carrying a torch for Ned....Chuck's two recluse aunts, probably the strangest of them all.
While the show is totally different than anything we've seen on TV in a while, I think it's just what is needed. A breath of fresh, intelligent, funny air that we've all been waiting for. (Now cross your fingers I'm not the only one that thinks this....it's critically aclaimed so I'm sure that means it will get cancelled. Nooooooo!)
And how can you not love that his shop is called The Pie Hole!?
2 comments:
oooooooo i saw it on the guide last night but didnt watch it! I LOVE dead like me!! i will have to watch for it next Tuesday!
I watched it tonight and you're right, it's a great show, mainly because it's so different. It's reminiscent of the way a few older movies were made. I love the backdrop, it's almost cartoonish, like you said, and the characters are characters! Thanks for reminding me about it. ;o))
Post a Comment