Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Even Water is Evil

Man, if it's not one thing it's another. It seems to me that EVERYTHING can cause cancer. I'm not going to go into all of the things that have been mentioned in the news over the last couple of years, but I am going cry all the way home about my beloved Nalgene bottle being on the hit list now.

It's pink. It has a flower on it. It makes drinking water fun.

And now it's going to kill me apparently. Grrrrreat.

So what do I use now? My gym has a "plastic bottles only" rule for the safety of patrons. And as if anyone would use a glass bottle, that's just inconvenient and dumb...not to mention difficult to drink from while on a treadmill. Smashed front teeth anyone? I'm not about to start buying bottled water each and every day...that's seriously wasteful and expensive...which is why I got my Nalgene bottle in the first place.

I know there are metal alternatives, but are those really safer? I'm sure sometime in the next two years, the government will tell us that those are bad for us too.

I did find an article today, which gave me some hope. Nalgene is discontinuing any bottles made with BPA (I'm guessing that was a no-brainer since no one wants to stock them or buy them anymore) and they are replacing them with some other kind of impact-resistant plastic-type substance that apparently isn't going to cause cancer (yet!). But who knows how long it will take for those to hit the open market?

Until then, what do I do? Keep living on the edge drinking from my pretty pink bottle? I guess so. Í mean, I'm probably going to get cancer from the sun, or pork, or lead toys my future children will play with, so what's a few litres of water from a tainted bottle?

Thoughts?

11 comments:

tash said...

My husband did a toxicology course last year and despite the gov't banning products, it is only really baby bottles that are heated (boiled to sterilize etc) that are the concern. and even then, there have been no studies that show it affects humans at all. the study that has shown affects was on mice - and they injected them with the BPA. So very different than adult humans drinking out of a bottle. Hubby still uses his bottles. most companies are switching over because they fear the public reaction will be to not buy anymore, not because it is really unsafe. and when the actual ban hits canada, it is only for baby bottles because Health Canada wanst to be "better safe than sorry". anyways, that is my 2 cents :)

Jaime said...

Thanks Tash. That's exactly what I think anyway. It's all about media and marketing at this point. The reason I wrote about it today was because while I was at the gym it just seemed to me that there were A LOT less Nalgene-type bottles around than usual.

Heather said...

I've decided to drink my chemical water from my plastic bottle...maybe I'll mutate and grow an extra arm and hand...lol.

Vanessa said...

I'm in the "everything gives you cancer anyway" state of mind :). I have been considering getting a metal water bottle, but only because I think they're cool and might keep my water cold longer ;).

I'll be drinking from my pretty pink water bottle until it finally bites the dust.

Christy said...

I thought about buying a metal water bottle but then they say you're supposed to stay away from aluminum as well (linked to alzheimers?). I not washing my grapes will get me first anyways ;)

Mikey said...

I bought 2 metal bottles but they're expensive and not as nice as my nalgenes....

Mec is carrying metal bottles for $10 and has non bpa nalgene bottles as well...

Anonymous said...

I bought a metal one that is aluminum, but it's lined with something else.

I heard the Nalgene bottles are only bad if you leave water sitting in them, or heat them up.

I say you're good to go!

Anonymous said...

I am totally stressed out about this one as well.

Of course.. I fed my babies out of plastic bottles, heated. As if mom's don't already have enough mommy guilt!

For me.. I am going to keep drinking out of my plastic bottles. For the kids.. I am choosing to switch theirs as sometimes their milk sits in containers for a while.

I also have some lovely plates and bowls that were given to my kids with mickey and minnie on them. yup - type 7 as well.

Sigh.. what next!

I usually try not to buy into all the hype but this one is screaming so loudly!!

Jaime said...

Well, I was looking for an excuse to check out the MEC here anyway, so maybe I'll see if they have a pretty pink $10 non-aluminum metal bottle for me to try out. :)

Shirls said...

I changed to glass on my desk and at home but at the gym, me and my nalgene are still tight :0) I figure of the 4 litres I drink a day, 1/4 of that being in plastic is a pretty good split.

eurydice said...

I have two of those bottles. A one litre I use at work and a 500mL Queens Uni one I use at the gym. I have been meaning to switch them but I'm too cheap to buy completely new bottles. And maybe now I just won't haha.