Saturday, August 30, 2008

In the blink of an eye....

Yup, DBF was away for 33 days. Longest he's been away since we moved to Halifax. Not the longest we've ever been apart...not even by a long shot (hellooooo, six months of training last year!) but definitely the hardest time apart of our relationship.

It's tough enough being apart, and tougher still because of not being surrounded by my family or any amount of close friends...but of course it was extra hard because of the emotional times with Mojo at the beginning of the month. That wouldn't have been easy for either of us at any time, but all of it combined just made for a rougher than rough month.

So he finally got home on Friday. I had already warned work that I would be taking off as soon as I got the call and wouldn't be back for the rest of the day. This all works out fine, as it was already 2pm our time when I left to get him so a couple of hours on the Friday before a long weekend aren't that big of a deal.

We came home after I picked him up....happy to be home, but a little tough for him walking in the first time without Mojo. (A little tough is an understatement to be sure.) We enjoyed some wine and relaxation and just time together. He had a little nap and I got cleaned up for our night out.

Dinner was at CUT Steakhouse. Just what the doctor ordered, I think. (you can read about our meal over here)

This morning we again took some time to relax, then headed out for brunch. After brunch we decided to go to Toys R Us so he could have a look at things he might like to buy for his son when he got to Winnipeg. Looking for a big fire truck...found a cool Tonka one, but he would actually like something even bigger and cooler. Then we just enjoyed wandering around the mall...just hanging out...and then a little more time in Chapters.

After that it was time to head to the airport. I opted to just drop him off and spare myself a teary goodbye inside the airport. It's always less emotional to do a stop/drop/run, then to linger at the security gate.

One day certainly wasn't long enough.

Thankfully my Mom will be here in a week, so that's something to look forward to! He'll be back a week into her visit, then he's actually home for three weeks before having to head back out for most of October. Gah, the trips to sea never used to bother me sooooooo much. I must be getting extra sensitive these days.

4 comments:

tash said...

I'm a total security gate girl. I stand there and watch Tim go through until I caqn't see him anymore, crying the whole time. I am such a baby.

Lady J said...

Only 5 more sleeps sweetie (4 your time) and I'll be there to keep you company. You'll be the tour guide for a whole week so you won't have time to be sad.... :o)

xoxo

Jaime said...

It's actually 6 sleeps my time, Mom. LOL. I'm ahead...so I get to sleep Saturday night while you are in the air.

Lady J said...

For a supposedly smart woman I can never seem to get this time thing straight.... arrrrrgh!! :)