Sunday, October 19, 2008

My Computer is Freaking Me Out

I think my poor computer is trying to tell me something. I've been talking about buying a new desktop computer lately because of the physical grief working on a laptop is causing me. It's about six months earlier than I'd planned (this one will be three years old in February) but for the sake of my body, I think it's time to suck it up and get it done.

I'm sure my computer agrees because yesterday it gave me the scare of a lifetime when it crashed and seemingly lost all of my documents and such. OMG...I thought my heart actually stopped. Especially because I've been a slacker in the maintenance department and it's been at least a month since I backed up (probably longer). Not only bad for my photos and personal stuff, but particularly bad for the work situation. Bad me.

Anyway, I let it run it's blue screen of self-correction while I was out last night and when I got home it seemed to have at least recovered all of the documents and settings...phew! I think the reason it showed nothing when it crashed and rebooted earlier was because I cancelled the blue screen file checker. But even when it seemed OK it wasn't. It wouldn't detect any wireless networks (in addition to ours, I can usually see about 10 others in the neighborhood) and it was moving really slow.

So I shut down and restarted again, and it launched the blue screen checker again so I let it run again. It moved sooooooooooooooooooo slow but I was determined to let it run. I watched a movie and it was barely at 50% after almost two hours, so I decided to just let it run overnight and see what happened.

Woke up this morning and all seems well again, so maybe the blue screen found another file to correct while I was sleeping. Who knows? But now that I'm safe for the moment, I'll be running this baby up to my office for a full-on backup!

And I guess I'll be stopping at Future Shop while I'm out today to start pricing and planning for that new computer....just in case.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Scary stuff! Have fun computer shopping :)

Mikey said...

future crap = bad