Monday, September 8, 2008

Holy Hannah!

So with a whole four hours of sleep under my belt, I managed to get myself to the airport pretty much on time to get Mom. I planned for 10 minutes after her flight was supposed to arrive (to give the extra time for deplaning and such) but then started worrying on the way there that her flight might land early. Thankfully for me, it didn't...so I was there to greet her when she came down the escalator. Whew. :) She was the second person off her plane, so no long waits withs throngs of people.

Of course, we still had a 15 minute wait for her suitcase.

The drive out to the airport was interesting...fog city. Nice that there were only about a dozen other cars on the highway at that time of the morning, but not so nice that I couldn't see more than about a block in front of me most of the time. That's tough when I've only ever driven that stretch of road maybe 4 or 5 times. Ah well, life goes on. :)

In my continuing battle with Mother Nature, she decided to throw a tropical storm at us just in time for Mom's arrival. Yup, "tropical event Hannah" blew through town yesterday. We awoke to some serious humidity, which then turned to some rain on the drive back from the airport, which then turned into an all-out crazy ass wind and rain storm by the time we got to the house. Warm, sticky, and huge, gloppy, sideways rain. Gee Mom, welcome to Halifax.

We went for breakfast at Cora's on the way home, and thankfully the hurricane rain held off until we finished there. Then it was time for a nap (it was 3am for Mom when she landed, and I needed to make up for the couple of nights of little sleep). By the time we woke up, the storm had pretty much passed....and believe it or not the sun actually peeked out.

Our afternoon was spent mostly just chatting and watching some TV, and our evening was our traditional Chinese take-out and a DVD (27 Dresses...too cute). The Chinese food was even pretty close to what we get a home, which was nice because as I've ranted about before, a lot of the dishes seem different here than they are in BC.

Went to bed at a reasonable time, and had a nice sleep in. Had some coffee and morning chit-chat and am now making brunch and getting ready to do a small bit of exploring. Easing Mom into things by maybe just taking a drive downtown and maybe a short walk along the waterfront so she can see a few things. Then maybe a little shopping and another quiet night in. (Tomorrow the more touristy stuff shall begin!)

The sun is with us so cross your fingers that it sticks around!

1 comment:

Angela Power said...

Thanks heavens we didn't really get much of Hannah in Pictou! I was pleading from the center of my heart that she'd go easy on us for the wedding and she did :-)

I hope your mom enjoys her visit here!