One of my neighbors has started up a neighborhood book club (Hi Marie-Claude!). Her timing couldn't have been better. I needed something that would distract me and give me a goal, as well as something that would help me meet some more people and give me the opportunity for at least one night out of the house each month.
I am a fairly regular reader...it blows hot and cold. Sometimes I will read every night before bed and plow through a book each week. Sometimes I will go for a month without even touching a book. I guess it depends on if I have a book I'm enjoying, or if there is lots of good stuff on TV, or if DBF is home and we're keeping busy. For a long time I really only read "fluffy" books...ie: Shopaholic or Stephanie Plum. I still like those books for sure, but lately I had started in on things like The Other Boleyn Girl and The Kite Runner, so the book club is a welcome way for me to keep up with a bit more intellectual reading.
So the idea is that each month we will take turns chosing a book. Someone will suggest three titles and we will vote as a group. I think there are about 6-8 members so far, with mainly women. We decided that if there are enough men, we will alternate between men & women each month...to give fair opportunity on the types of books we chose to read and discuss.
Since it was her idea, Marie-Claude gave the options for our first book....The Kite Runner, My Sisters Keeper, or Atonement. I voted for My Sisters Keeper as it had been on my "must read" list forever. Lucky for me, it was the group choice.
Funny enough, once I started I could barely put it down. So here we are still 27 days away from our first meeting and I've already finished reading the book. It was THAT good. Incredibly interesting subject matter, fabulous writing style, good storylines, everything that I love in a book.
So I've already been out to Chapters and picked up another book by the same author, Jodi Picoult (I actually had to reel myself in from buying every other book she has ever written!). Plus, I've picked up another book that I'm sort of hoping makes its way into our book club... The Time Traveller's Wife... as well as The Boleyn Inheritance, and a more fluffy novel by Marion Keyes (I recently discovered her and read two of her books last month).
This crappy weather we've been having does suck, but at least it's good for curling up with a good book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am a total read-aholic. I guess it's a good vice :) All the Phillipa Gregory books are good. And the Tim Travellers Wife is fantastic! If you haven't already, try Maeve Binchy. And the Jean M. Auel Earth's Childre series is amazing. If you ever branch out and get into fantasy/sci-fi, than we gotta has a long chat!
I loved My Sisters Keeper!
I wish I had a book club ... that is a great way to meet people!
If your book club ever wants to recommend a debut author, may I humbly suggest one published by the same team as Jodi Picoult -- me. STANDING STILL got great reviews, and hundreds of book clubs read it this Spring. Thanks for listening, just trying to get the word out -- new authors need lots of support!
Kelly
byKellySimmons.com
Loved The Time Traveller's Wife. One of the best books I have read...ever. And I read a lot. :)
Kite Runner & Atonement were excellent as well.
Still haven't read My Sister's Keeper and not sure I want to. I read Nineteen Minutes, and it was riveting, but I found it so disturbing and sad. Sorta scared me off Jodi Picoult, as those types of books tend to haunt me for a long while after.
Don't wait to read the Time Travelers Wife. It was amazing. I also just finished the Other Boleyn Girl and just bought The Boleyn Inheritance.
I'm jealous of your book club :(
I read My Sister's Keeper and LOVED IT! I also have the Time Traveller's Wife here but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm currently reading Eat, Pray, Love and so far it is such an insightful read... I LOVE IT! I love chapters too! Wish there was a book club close to me.
Post a Comment