Friday, January 16, 2009

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Wedding plans? Have we made any? What's the deal?

The deal is this... FH has himself a deployment he's dying to go on later this year. Of course, in true Navy fashion he has no idea whether he will actually get to do it. So we are in slight limbo. If he goes, he'll leave in November and probably get home in March or April.

So we are aiming for Summer 2010. I actually like the idea of September...Autumn is pretty everywhere and won't be too hot or too cold....I hope!

But it's sooooo far away. Further than either of us would like...neither of us are big fans of the long engagement and that pushes to almost two years....not ideal, but we don't want half-assed plans either. It's truly all up in the air. So be it. At least it provides lots of time for extra savings and arrangements.

It is a bit of a logistical nightmare too. We live in Halifax...and although we have some very important people here, neither of us have any family here so it's really not the ideal place to have the wedding. We don't feel right asking 90% of the guests to travel thousands of miles and spend tons of money. I, of course, would love to have it in Victoria since the majority of my family and friends are there (or at least within a short drive or ferry ride away). FH would love to have it in Winnipeg as he has his son, some family and some very dear friends there. Having said that his Mom is in Ontario, his Dad is in BC, and he also has some great friends on the island. Talk about wide spread!

Simplicity says have a destination wedding. It's the thing to do now, don't ya know? Vegas would be hysterical and memorable. A beach would be lovely. But the con to that is that a lot of people wouldn't attend due to time constraints and finances (which is the same issue we have with a non-destination wedding anyway). Besides, we are really looking forward to a big party! And honestly if we do a destination wedding it means we would probably have to wait another year for the honeymoon... that just drags it all out even further.

We'll work it out! Just brainstorming in black and white here. Many of you have asked for the scoop and this is where it stands just now. It's only been two weeks of engagement though...so we've got time! :)

10 comments:

Lex said...

Ugh - I totally know your dilemma. I am not engaged, but my BF and I have discussed the idea of marriage. All of his family lives in Halifax, but all of mine lives in Alberta.
To make it fair to everyone, we've thought about having a Destination Wedding.
It would definitely be a smaller wedding, but that is okay with us.

We had considered having a wedding in a 'halfway' place in Canada. So that everyone would still travel, just not as far.
If we were going to do that, we'd still rather do a Destination Wedding.

It's a puzzling situation, for sure!

I don't have much advice to offer, though!!

Jen said...

VEGAS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously...it is written all over you two!!! And FH has never been, right??????

tash said...

You know I am all about Vegas, having gotten married there myself :)

Is there any side of the family that is less well-off financially that couldn't afford to travel no matter what?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mikey said...

OMG weddings are complicated!

Anonymous said...

If you go with destination, and wait til 2010, that gives people plenty of time to save and plan vacation for it. Also, it is almost the same cost wise to travel to an awesome destination as it is to go across Canada. Just my two cents worth :)

Karen M

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaime said...

I think I need to clarify two things:

1) Arron is VERY interested in being a part of the planning. This is our day, not mine.

2) Neither of us is super keen on a destination wedding...just because it may be cheaper or similar price-wise, we are actually looking forward to something slightly more traditional.

Sarah said...

Hmmm if you did a destination wedding, wouldn't that count as the honeymoon too? That's why I want to do a destination wedding - guaranteed honeymoon! So many people I know do a big wedding and can't afford to/don't have time for a honeymoon and never end up taking one!